It seems like I'm always apologising for failing to update here, but there's so much going on this month that it really is hard to keep up. For example...
* I'm in St. Louis right now, workshopping the stage musical adaptation of my graphic novel Stagger Lee for the Ignite! festival at The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis. I've written the book for the show and have co-written lyrics with the composers, Stew and Heidi Rodewald, the gigantic talents behind the Tony-winning Passing Strange. We're working with director Amanda Dehnert to shape the show, and have assembled an amazing cast to put it on. This Thursday, March 15, we'll be presented an in-progress reading of the first act to a very lucky audience of St. Louis theatre lovers.
* When I get back to the Bay Area, I'll have a couple of days to catch my breath then I'll be going to The Escapist in Berkeley for a pre-release signing of my new book, Gone to Ameriikay. The Escapist will be the first store in the world to have copies of this book for sale, so if you're anywhere near, come by and join the party! The Escapist is at 3090 Claremont Avenue in Berkeley. The signing is on March 21 from 4 pm to 7 pm.
* On March 30, the legendary Colleen Doran and I will be in New York City for a book launch for Gone to Amerikay. The party will benefit The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I sit on the board of The Comic Legends Legal Defense Fund, the Canadian counterpart to the CBLDF, and we've been partnered on the case that this party will benefit -- it's a cause very dear to my heart, and if you're in or near NY on the 30th, I hope you'll come by and support the cause. Midtown Comics will be on site to sell copies of Gone to Amerikay, and a portion of all sales will go to the CBLDF. Colleen and I will be there to sign copies, and we'll be joined by the book's entire creative and editorial team (except Sarah!). The party is March 30, 6-8 pm, at Harbor Lights Restaurant, South Street Seaport, Pier 17, Third Floor. Please come!
* Speaking of Gone to Amerikay - you can see a couple of great previews of pages from that book on the CBLDF and Publisher's Weekly web sites.
* Check out this Goodreads promotion - enter to win one of ten FREE copies of Gone to Amerikay!
* And lastly - if you want more timely news about projects and whatever else crosses my mind, go to Facebook and Like The Derek McCulloch Experience. I'm posting updates on progress of the workshop right now.